Bartender (2 available positions)
Do you love dogs and craft beer? We’re Barley Labs, a small business based in Durham that makes dog treats with recycled beer grain. We’re expanding to a dog-focused bar and gift shop and are looking to hire an outgoing, dog-and-beer-loving person as a part-time bartender (approximately 15-20 hours per week). The expected start for the positions is in late February/early March.
We are currently a two-person, two-dog team, so it’s always all hands on deck. We need people who are positive, flexible, and willing to help wherever they’re needed.
With the right person on board, this position has the potential to grow as the company grows.
- Serve draft beer and help guests make dog/beer product purchasing choices
- Help ensure a safe environment for all guests, human and K-9 alike
- Follow and properly execute cleaning/sanitation protocols
- Manage our vendor table at demos and special events
- Stock inventory and ensure retail displays are appealing
- Other duties as assigned
- Age: 21 or older
- Previous experience with dogs (either personally or in a volunteer/work capacity)
- 1 year of experience in customer service or retail sales
- Flexible schedule (evenings, weekends, and some holidays required)
- Ability to lift 60 pounds unassisted and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Valid driver's license with a clean driving record
- Pass background check
- Previous bartending experience, preference given to Cicerone Certified Beer Servers
- Knowledge of the dog product industry
- Knowledge of the NC craft beer industry
- Knowledge of the beer making process
- Competitive pay (hourly rate depends on experience) plus tips
- Growth potential – If you want to gain experience in other areas (marketing/PR, event planning, social media, etc.), we will find opportunities for you. As we grow, there is potential for you to fill other positions to expand your career.
- Paid professional development opportunities
- Employee events and discounts
- Annual paid volunteer day
- Annual reviews with potential for pay increases
Click here for our online application. Be forewarned: We ask quite a few questions in the application -- be prepared to explain why you want to join us, have contact information for 3 professional references (one must be a former supervisor), and have your resume ready to upload in a Word doc or PDF. We're a very small team, and it's important for us to find the right fit for our pack (and ideally you'll figure out if we're the right fit for you, too).
Barley Labs LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity/expression or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Barley Labs LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Barley Labs LLC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Barley Labs LLC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.