Beer brewers steep grain (in our case 100% barley) in water through a process called “mashing.” They then take the water to make beer, leaving behind the delicious barley (spent grain). Inspired by our rescue dog named Barley, we decided to take the spent grain and turn it into dog treats.
Since creating Barley Labs, we adopted another rescue dog – a Border Collie mix named Hops. He’s smaller than Barley but adds quite a bit of flavor to the team, much like the small amount of maple syrup we add to these treats.
That’s why we call these dog treats Mutt Mash. “Mutt” in honor of our two rescue mutts. “Mash” for the process in which we get the grain.
About Our Peanut Butter & a Touch of Honey Treats:
- All-natural ingredients
- No wheat, preservatives, corn or soy
- Oven-baked for that perfect crunch
- Available in 8 oz. or 2.5 oz. bags
- Wet brewers barley grain from Fullsteam Brewery (Durham, N.C.)
- Organic barley flour
- Natural peanut butter
- Cage-free eggs from Latta's Family Farm (Hillsborough, N.C.)
- Honey from Golding Farms (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- Crude Protein-minimum: 15.3%
- Crude Fat-minimum: 17.7%
- Crude Fiber-maximum: 4.1%
- Moisture-maximum: 4.3%
Note: To avoid using preservatives, we dehydrate our treats to remove much of the moisture. While the average dog may love the crunch (ours certainly does), if your dog has dental issues or is a senior or a puppy, check out our Sweet Taters treats!
Click here for shipping information.
Ask Barley: Barley Labs FAQs
Learn how your purchase contributes to a local rescue organization.